Saturday, December 9, 2017

December Lagging.

     December hits and it's like there is not enough time in the day-- between holidays, work, and everyday life, it has been busy!
     While today was our first snow of the oncoming winter, I did go out, and it was slim pickings in terms of birds. Scenery was beautiful and I got to try out my new Arctic Muck Boots.
     I have been going out birding since my last post-- so might as well just toss a bunch of those on here and call it a day. I am looking forward to next Saturday, as it is the Brooklyn Christmas Bird Count and I will be remaining loyal to the North Prospect Team.
     Tomorrow I won't be birding, but I will be working and helping people learn about the impact of ocean plastics on cephalopod predators including sea birds like Albatross. We will dissect boluses to reveal the contents of what these birds are feeding on - this activity and more will be available at the American Museum of Natural History's Milstein Science Series, free with regular admission.
     Anyway. Birds!

Met a very flashy adult Cooper's Hawk at Floyd Bennett Field in late November.


Add caption


This was a lovely treat because I mostly always see juvenile birds- it was nice to see a mature adult.

Also enjoyed some kestrels hunting crickets and grasshoppers.

Blurry- but even into late November, insects were still available. I also noticed a few clouded sulfur butterflies, probably desperately looking for nectar and a way to move south.

Always guaranteed a kestrel at the fields.
Went to Prospect Park last weekend, mostly enjoying waterfowl--like this Ruddy duck.

A female American wigeon swimming among the last bits of autumn color.

A great blue heron on the Lullwater.

Nothing super crazy, just some of the regulars to fulfill my need to go out and enjoy nature in the little bits of spare time that I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment