Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Last Snow of Winter?

     I sit inside today, and while issued a proper snow day from work (that's a free day off for us non-essential staff) I am still trying to getting some work done while snow falls outside my window. I am surrounded by a lazy cat and a napping parrot, while the reptiles rest warmly in their properly heated room. I wonder if this will be the last snow (please let it be!!!) and when we can properly welcome and embrace spring.
     Meanwhile, in recent times I encountered a different kind of snow. It was snow I was not expecting or seeking - which honestly, this was my favorite snow of the season.
     All of my snowy owl sightings this season have been pretty awful. They involved crowds, birds being harassed, and my having to call park enforcement, more than once. This is not a fun time in the field, it makes me feel a variety of emotions, anger for the people, empathetic for this owl who is just trying to rest before its next hunt, or next long flight, then I also want to communicate to the people and share information about their practices - which often never works out- and can also put me in danger since more often than not I am by myself. I find myself with every owl post sharing ethics -- but I am so happy to say this encounter was so different from all the others.
     I was not seeking a snowy, but I found one and observed it myself, from a respectable distance and for only about 5 minutes. I finally felt at peace and observed a bird at rest, not with eyes wide open or in an alerted posture. I hope this is my last snowy of the season, I'd like to end on a happier note for both the owl and myself.
     Here is this beautiful girl, in solitude, taken at a distance, at 500mm, and then cropped down. With the wind in her feathers and a plethora of prey available to her, she is top predator for just a bit longer as she prepares to head North. Soon she will be surrounded by Arctic wildlife and a complete change of scenery awaits her. I wish her a safe flight and I hope she has some beautiful downy chicks that can come visit one of the quieter spaces where humans won't bother them next winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment