Thursday, September 27, 2018

Loxahatchee NWR

     Birding on vacation with a non-birder can be challenging, but Tim is very forgiving and humors me by coming along to explore new places. And we both have things that are unique to us, he is training for a marathon so when he goes out to run, I go out to bird. It works really well.
     While Tim prepared for a run in the heavy Florida heat, I drove off to Loxahatchee. A National Wildlife Refuge that is part of the marshes and waterways that connect and flow into the Everglades. Also, it is found along the Great Florida Birding trail, no surprise!
     It is a likely place to find snail kites... I only found the remains of snails, no kites. But if you can, there is a canoe trail to enjoy and probably find more birds and gators. I wish I had a little more time to explore it, but honestly it was so hot and the Everglades awaited our arrival...
Before I even made it in, I did a double take, hit the brakes, snapped into reverse, window down. Hello life bird!
A Limpkin!

Limpkins get their name because of their high stepping walk that makes them appear to limp. 
This leggy wader is not related closely to herons or ibises, but rather cranes and rails.
It is a very handsome bird and fairly tame, this bird didn't as much as flinch when I pulled up next to it. Apparently European settlers noted this too, so much so, they were able to just grab them off their nest when they wanted to hunt one.


This is one of two gators eyeing some fishermen, possibly waiting for them to catch some fish to toss back, or reel in past those snouts.

It's almost like this gator posts itself nearest to the fishing spot often.

I also learned that the empty snail shells were very much so a result of the limpkin. Limpkins have a special, tweezer-like bill that curves slightly to the right to snag an apple snail right out of its shell. And they feed exclusively on these hefty snails of this wetland.

Giant lens and close proximity gator = extreme close up!


A lovely surprise! An adult common gallinule with one of its two chicks.

Ever so gingerly, picking up aquatic plant pieces to feed its chick. It was so sweet watching this.
I then watched this chick exit the water with its huge feet that it looks like it needs to grow into-- but they just are huge. Gallinules have large, twiggy, splayed out toes used for walking atop aquatic plants.

Another non-native, the Northern curly-tail lizard.
Originally from the Bahama Islands, they were intentionally introduced to control sugarcane insect pests. They do curl their tail up over their backs, giving them their name.

In my return home, just where I saw the Limpkin on my way in, I pulled over to view this bird- a red shouldered hawk. They are such lovely looking raptors! 
Come winter, these hawks are abundant in Florida.
Like all Florida wetlands, herons, ibis, egrets, and gallinules were very present. Also enjoyed sights of a loggerhead shrike, or better affectionately known as a butcher bird. Known for its habits of preying upon small lizards, birds, or mammals and skewering them to help them tear them into bite-size bits. I love seeing them!
Also lots of pileated woodpeckers flying about and vocalizing. I'm sure with more time, this place could turn up some great finds!


No comments:

Post a Comment