Saturday, October 13, 2018

It's Raining Raptors!

     Fall is only good for one thing, raptors. I love birds of prey and yesterday there was quite a good show of them over Marine Park in Brooklyn.
     The park is currently having its open grassland mowed, and on my morning run through the park I noticed a lot of small sparrows and finches flying from the freshly mowed area, probably reaping the bounty left behind.
     I returned hoping to find some sparrows, but they were mowing, and obviously any birds were flushed from those areas. I also didn't see nearly as many smaller birds as I did during my run and with mowing, high winds, and predators above, it was a perfect storm to keep small birds hidden.
     But I am not complaining, I love those predators sailing on the wind...

I found upon entering the nature center trail, a green heron. Mainly focused on the rising tide and what it brought with it.

We had a brief moment of acknowledgment. 

With winds whipping, this little yellow-rumped warbler held tightly to the branches of this sumac as it swayed loosely in the gusts.

A lot of sharp-shinned hawk action. These little hawks, smaller than a crow were all over the air. Sometimes even pushing the Cooper's hawks around, who are half a size larger.

A great blue heron maneuvers through the wind for a better fishing spot.

It was truly a raptor fest, a familiar shape in the sky- it spoke eagle.
A juvenile bald eagle shakily soared against the wind.
In addition to this eagle and the sharp-shinned hawk, I also observed Cooper's hawks, red tailed hawk, merlin, and American kestrels (below). At certain points I'd be able to look up and see multiple species and multiple individuals at once.

A female American Kestrel gave me quite show over the mowed grasses. She was busy hunting, presumable the insects that have been exposed by the absence of the grasses.

She hovered and swooped, over and over as she honed in on her prey.

While I admit, these aren't amazing shots- I am in love with how the light highlights the barring on her wings and tail. The hovering behavior of kestrels, as they hold their place in the air makes for a great chance to capture a photo of this otherwise fast-moving bird.
I noticed some dragonflies flying near where I was and she even, without hesitation took a couple of close passes my way, which is so amazing to experience. You feel like you're acceptable enough to be in their world, and you don't deter them from what they need to do.

Yes.

If you look juuuuust in front of her feet, you see the grasshopper just escaping her talons and jumping away. She proceeded to pounce about 3-4 more times. I don't think she managed to catch this (very lucky) little insect.
I love being able to be part of their world and observe them acting naturally without causing them distraction, this for me is the most satisfying part of birding for me.

The least shy Northern Flicker. Usually you just make eye contact with these birds and they are off. Granted this bird was pretty far away and up high in a tree, I was still amazed it let me look at it.


Was so happy to see that the green heron was still there on my way out. 
Found some house sparrows being car sparrows around and under my car.



I guess the wind was even too much for them... I shoo'd 8 birds out from my car!

No comments:

Post a Comment