Sunday, May 12, 2019

For all the moms out there... And mine too!

     Take some time today to wish a mom a happy mother's day. It can be your mom, a mother-figure in your life, someone you know who is a mom, so this one is for all the moms out there with a special shout to to my one and only!
Clapper rail with the kiddos in tow...
Common tern watching its very graceful chick stomp off with a snack it provided...
Mama wood duck keeping it together with the whole gang of ducklings...
Mama great horned owl knows best...

She might have killer talons but even mama owl has a softer side, for her future top predators.

     I thank my mom for teaching me strength, independence, to give it your all, how to succeed, share kindness, nurture others, and do it all with grace and poise (although, I question my poise...). My mom also has been 100% accepting of my love of animals and never, ever forced those norms of society on me, for which I thank her for letting me be who I am; digging up insects and making habitats for snails and fireflies helped me become who I am today. She beat the hell out of cancer while nurturing her immediate and extended family, and always held her head high through some of the hardest points in her life. My mom is my #1.
     My mom has even been tracking a bird in her life, a killdeer she named, "Birdda." Here are some of her adventures with Birdda:
Here is Birdda.
My mom called me at work and was concerned for her nest, located at her workplace parking lot. I shared how this bird and her nest is protected by federal law. She was worried about people and their pets who frequent the area.
I informed her that the best she can do is to rope off the area and keep folks out. 
She recruited workers at her job to rope off the nest.
How amazing is my mom?
She shared with me compassion for others and I am so glad to see her share that compassion with wildlife.
She updates me about Birdda, who has been doing well for the last almost 2 weeks.
I also got the chance to share with my mom how birds nest in all places from your typical sticks in a tree to a scrape on the ground. I also shared with her how birds like this don't really eat seeds or bread (ever), as she has wanted to provide her food and I shared how she will feed on insects.
My mom has asked so many great questions and is assured she is finding worms to eat.
But of course, my mom can't not provide or do something to help. So she has informed me that she has left out for Birdda a source of fresh water.
How cute is my mom?!
This is my mom's latest picture of Birdda.
She sent it yesterday.
She always checks in on her and I sure hope she is rewarded with seeing Birdda's family.
She may have anthropomorphized Birdda a little bit, but honestly, I love the connection she has to this little wild bird and how much she cares about her and her family.
Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers and mother figures out there, thanks for being you and sharing your best selves with those around you!


No comments:

Post a Comment