Saturday, April 17, 2021

Birds this week in Brooklyn

    Migration feels like it could just get intense any day now. The trickle of birds has felt slow, but slowly they are begining to show, the palm warblers and Louisiana waterthrush have begun to show, as well as the ruby-crowned kinglets and blue-grey gnatcatchers. It feels like it could heat up at any moment.

    This week I got to 4 different locations to do some birding: the salt marsh (no camera, I just wanted to enjoy some walking and birding with the baby before daycare and work), Coney Island Creek, Prospect Park, and Green-Wood Cemetery. It was all good birds and good company too!

I had planned to bird Coney Island Creek before I knew there were going to be a pair of blue-winged teal there. These are my first Brooklyn blue-winged teal too, #258 for Kings County.

The male left, is easily known from others because of that white crescent on his face, and when he flies, that blue on his wing rings true to his name.

I got a nice view of them (with the sun in my favor) from 6-diamonds fields. I almost thought I found a body bag when trying to get a good view of these birds. It thankfully was just rolled up, lumpy tarps, but, it would totally be a perfect place to just leave a body which is why it did make my hairs stand up upon spotting.

I didn't have much time to explore before work, but still a beautiful morning none the less, these parks on the creek are little gems but have their quirks. The fields are plentiful with ant -feeding flickers.

Not only are songbirds on the move, but so are these double crested cormorants. They can fly in some fairly large flocks, taking on that v-formation, as many geese and ducks also do.

I met my friend, Shinara for some birding in Prospect Park on Friday. While waiting to meet her, this Palm warbler decided to drop in, fairly close as it foraged among the fallen limbs and leaves.

I also attended a little photo workshop with the Feminist Bird Club, featuring Alyssa Bueno.
Alyssa taught me about back button auto focus. And, it's my new favorite thing ever.

So happy to get some little yellow birds in my life.

One thing a lot of birds were doing: collecting nesting material.

This common grackle was efficient, it made sure it had its bill stuffed, carrying as much as it could.

And if they were not collecting nesting material, they were singing, as this male northern cardinal demonstrates.

I'm also really excited that my most in-focus shots of this black-capped chickadee are of it dangling.



Can't ignore a handsome song sparrow.

I'm still not used to the wood ducks being on the lake itself. But I also won't say no to it, especially when they wander nice and close.

Today, I met my friend Stephanie in Green-Wood Cemetery, where we had a photo-tastic adventure. She brought my eyes to the flowers and the artistry of the many monuments adorning sites where one is laid to rest. Things that I may overlook, so it was really nice to have that perspective today.
And here is a pine warbler in a Japanese maple.
Little bird, could you please put yourself in the correct tree, please?


That'll do. Thank you.

Was hoping we'd run into a whistle pig (aka groundhog, aka woodchuck). And we did. This one was rather obliging.

At one point we were at the Dell water, squeeing over a pair of Carolina Wrens collecting nesting material. And when they flew off, a titmouse flew in, and seemingly investigated us.

And then another joined, and before we knew it, five tufted titmouse were all sitting on branches within 10 feet just staring us down. 
I was not prepared to be potentially taken down by a gang of ruffian titmice, but it crossed my mind that it could indeed go down.
Thankfully, they moved on, after seeing we had no beef with them.

A red-winged black bird flew right atop the bush in front of us, sand his "honk-a-ree," looked around, and then flew off. Guess he just had some things to say.

The anything but common grackle. Their feathers are just superb.

And one has to keep those superb feathers looking good, so a bath is vital.


Chipping sparrow's gonna chip.

I'm really excited because next week I am leading my first walk with my little bubba, Kestrel and I are leading a walk for new parents and parents to be, who want to take up birding or continue birding and being able to bring their little one along. There are still some spaces available and it's free, learn more here, and we hope to see you there! We will be at Green-Wood which is fairly stroller friendly with just a few hilly spots. Folks can stay for as long as they wish and bonus, it's an afternoon walk, so it's likely naptime and napping in nature is just the best!





No comments:

Post a Comment