Sunday, October 29, 2017

While everyone else was out chasing a greenshank...

     I was contemplating going to see the Greenshank in NJ yesterday, but driving solo for a long ride, I was so not into it. So I said, screw it, and went in the opposite direction to Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge instead. And honestly, I'm glad I did, I saw the photos of the traffic jams, everyone clambering to see one bird. The reason I enjoy birding is the solitude, and to get away from the big crowds.
     While there were quite a few birders out plus a giant camera/photo group, it was totally not crowded. I enjoyed seeing 50 species that I found with just my own pair of eyes and enjoyed both East and West Ponds. I was happy that East pond is still accessible to walk around, and my boots came in handy for that.
The pond has transitioned from shorebirds to ducks. In this photos, you get the impression of what its like, picking through he HUNDREDS of birds flating around. How many species can you find? Can you see the American wigeon, ruddy ducks, gadwall, N. shoveler, Canada geese, great blue heron, Green-wing teal?

The pond was inundated with Gadwall, but pick through and you can be rewarded-- standout group of male wood ducks and in the upper right, a male green-wing teal with its cinnamon head slashed with iridescent green.

Had a pair of swamp sparrows lead me through the phragmites trail to the mud flats.

A group of pectoral sandpipers still held on to the area, feeding and resting among the 6 birds in the group.

With the fall phrags and the blue sky and water, even the Canada geese are worth taking a longer look than usual at. As I admired this group, I noticed waves of waterfowl and cormorants taking flight. What's happening? Who is here? Why is everyone getting frantic?

That'll do it.

This gorgeous, mature bald eagle flew low, juuuust above the trees making every bird on the pond take flight. Almost like he was just enjoying the ability to have such power to make these other animals act in such ways.

A group of sandpipers flies of in the distance. I suck at ID in flight- so I have no idea what they are. But seeing this eagle was a real treat- so low, so close - I have never seen a bald eagle at the refuge, and a mature one is a treat! I have seen eagles in the NYC area, this would be my second time in Queens.

Look for that white crescent and long bill on that face and you've got yourself some blue-winged teal!

Always present on the pond, the non-native mute swans. I will admit, I enjoy watching them fly. Take off require such effort- and with every flap you hear the sounds that accompany each beat of the wing. It is impressive, still, every time.

I also enjoy watching large waterfowl land. They literally need a runway, like a 747, it takes some serious landing gear and brakes to stop them. Webbed feet create great resistance to slow them down as they touch the water. I love how this birds feathers also look like ripples of the waters surface. But truly, they are showing how wings work and how the air flowing over them and under them create the lift, drag, and all the things needs to be a master of flight.

Now that the west pond is sealed up, I was looking forward to seeing how birds have taken to it. Not as much variety as the East pond-especially as the West still may be brackish. Having these freshwater ponds, surrounded by the salty bay- it makes for superb habitat. The bay is productive, waters are not rough, there is food. Then fresh water available nearby on top of that-- a serious bonus for these birds!
East pond had black bellied plovers (who in winter only have black wing pits), dunlin, shoveler, and brant mostly.


After looping the West pond- I saw a large dark figure-- definitely a raptor. Closer look was now my second bald eagle ever at Jamaica Bay- an immature bird circling high over the East side. This is super zoomed in and cropped. 

The feeders behind the visitors center are always good for house finch.

After visiting the East Pond, then the West Pond, I went back to the East pond to visit Big John's Pond and the blinds and over looks. I was treated to a group of 9 fish crows at the traffic crossing. I LOVE corvids, I of course greatly admire the intelligence and their behavior.

These birds were up to something. Was it coincidence that they came over after I pressed the traffic signal to cross the road?

Did they plan this? Did they know? There are reports of crows waiting for traffic signals to change to do exactly this-- consume someones discarded (I think it's a quesadilla) snack. Here they are in the bike lane-- which is a bit more protected.

The ones eating seem younger- as they appear to have the remains of their pink gapes on the sides of their mouth. A bird did stay up on a pole-- was that an adult watching? Teaching them this? Supervising?

They dashed when traffic started up again, but came back down as it cleared. They were very focused on getting the prize inside the bag. In birding, I love watching behavior. I love seeing what birds do, how they figure things out, how they get what they needs, and its rewarding in the rare- but even still and sometimes more so in the common birds.

A ruddy duck to close out. Despite skipping the rarity in NJ, I was pretty happy with my day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment