Monday, April 30, 2018

Spring Migration Weekend

     My schedule is not your typical one, currently weekends for me fall on Monday and Tuesday. While most had Saturday and Sunday off, I was working, tuning in to twitter at the end of the day to see all the birds I missed. It was a birdy weekend, and while I did see my FOY Grey Catbird fly in at work, I had to be patient and wait till today.
     While I heard it was "less birdy" than the weekend, I was not let down, I grew my year list from 154 to 165 species and tacked up a day list of 62 species in Prospect Park. Big miss being the Prothonotary Warbler, even thought I gave over an hour of my time in the area it was seen frequenting-- of course it showed up there as soon as I got home. But tomorrow is another day-- some of todays birds, despite overcast (and COLD) conditions:
I was so happy to run into this little bird, a blue-headed vireo!

They are even more stunning when you don't take a backlit photo!

I often find Easter Towhees, unless it is a male, singing it's head off- these birds are quite secretive, so I was so happy to sped some time watching this female. She is obstructed through eaves and branches-- but honestly, that's just a place they are at their best.

I love her earthy clay tones, she is just as gorgeous as her male counterpart. I can sometimes find them because she's my kinda gal, mostly just calling an upward sounding, "drink!"

While enjoying a close blue-headed vireo, I noticed movement just below it...

A jolly little ovenbird! I sqw quite a few of them today, to the point I got flagged on ebird for inputting my count. 

This warbler spends its time one or close to the ground, foraging among leaves- acting like and looking like a thrush more than a warbler.

It appears that blue-gray gnatcatchers just grow on trees these days...

The best unibrow in the bird world!
Quite a few of these around too. I enjoy the little birds because they are fun to learn and even more fun to photograph. In learning their typical behaviors and how/what they eat makes photographing fun- trying to keep up with them and predict their next action.

Here is one that is damn near impossible to photo, the American Redstart. This one is even blurry but it's in the open, it's low, and mostly clear. This could be as good as it gets for me!

Always a welcome sight, a rusty blackbird on the edge of the upper pool. 

Waiting to see a Prothonotary Warbler at the Ambergill falls, got a feisty yellow warbler and a FOY Ruby-throated hummingbird instead. 

Nice looks at a Northern Waterthrush on the lower pool.

A WEWA EW.
(A worm-eating warbler eating worms)

I was super happy to locate (with some help) one of the two Worm-eating Warblers being reported for the day in Prospect. I really like these guys- while some consider them drab and dull- I think their coloration makes them look brilliant. I love them so much!


An American Goldfinch- this male has some work to do on that plumage...

A lovely (low) surprise! A male rose-breasted grosbeak-- I headed to the Vale in the hopes of seeing orioles (and I did, Baltimore and -singing!- orchard oriole) and someone put out seed as they always do and this guy must have come down to check it out.
I love the heart on his breast!

A house finch partakes in the free give-aways.

A decent look at a great-crested flycatcher by the Maryland Monument in Prospect Park.
Tomorrow is another full day of birding- starting with a walk in Green-Wood Cemetery and then depending on the reports, maybe heading back to Prospect for more! Happy Spring Migration!

No comments:

Post a Comment