Saturday, April 7, 2018

Windy with a chance of bird...

     The weather has been absolutely bonkers: snow in April, some crazy high winds, 60 degrees, 35 degrees, more snow? nah, clouds and some sun. I don't know what the hell the forecast is doing but plants and animals are pointing to spring while the weather remains confused.
     On Thursday after work I visited the Salt Marsh in Marine Park and today, I visited Green-Wood Cemetery...
From the back of the nature center, a great egret is perched on the rocks. It has one flowing plume, it's as if the winds blew the others it may have had away.

A blue jay faces the wind and holds on tight to its perch. I am always amazed at how these little creatures, with such little mass can not just be blown away in strong winds.

I went down a path one way and when I returned a different great egret was on the side of the trail, we both kind of startled each other a bit...


A gorgeous red-breasted merganser hen in the setting sun.

The original egret hung out in its spot till I left.
The wind was whipping that day but it was good to see the osprey pair back and on their nest. Looking forward to seeing the marsh come to life with its spring and summer birds.
I wasn't thinking birding was going to happen today. I went clothes shopping for the first time in over a year (it's not my favorite thing to do) ad thought that would be it for the day. Thankfully, I was able to get some Green-Wood time and see this literal pine warbler. He takes his role VERY seriously.

Glad to see chipping sparrows again and hear them too. I love their little songs, they remind me of fabricated laser sound effects. 

A golden-crowned kinglet performing acrobatics to attain snacks.

I eventually lost count of the Eastern Phoebes, they were everywhere and announcing themselves with their buzzy, "FEEEE-BEEE!"

A palm warbler foraging and tail-pumping among tiny little flowers near the Dell Water.

A pne warbler who likes to live rebelliously, out of the pines and onto the ground. Actually almost all pine warblers I saw (with the exception of Mr. Serious up top) were on the ground, foraging and hawking from there or very low perches.

I love watching and photographing birds, fairly haphazardly. Because sometimes this happen.
It's not a great picture but I love that you can see this is some sort of winged insect, you can see this little birds tongue and some of the tiny vessels running through it. And I think you can even see the determination in this little bird's eye...
And this little pine warbler was dwarfed by some of the maple leaves it was poking its head under and where it found this morsel.

That is some pine warbler pride, look how proud he is!
Also, note small flower and the little sprigs of green around him-- signs of spring!

Pine warblers are usually some of the first warblers to arrive, I am so excited for all that is to come!

Not really how I would have liked to find my first swamp sparrow of the year... foraging among trash and plastic bags.

House finches were out today, singing with all their heart. I heard them before I saw them.

The sylvan water was swarming with palm warbler (this bird), pine warbler, and Eastern phoebe. Also tree swallows and a few more swamp sparrows.

One of my favorite spring things, singing song sparrows. I also love this prickly tree matching the prickled feathers.

I find hermit thrushes so hard to get photos of- they dart into brush when they spot you from 500 feet away. This one landed near me and assumed the most awkward, uncomfortable looking posture ever. After a stare down lasting 30 seconds it exited as quickly as it arrived.

I love swamp sparrows I think they are succh beautiful little birds with the warm browns of their plumage.


A golden crowned kinglet, chasing down low insects.

And I took a moment to admire the resident monk parakeets. Because somehow I managed not to see them in all my previous visits to the cemetery. They bring my year list up to 132.

No comments:

Post a Comment