Sunday, January 6, 2019

Keep the Count Going

     While I hate winter, the birds keep it exciting. In the new year, my list starts anew, so it's time to rack up numbers and I want to put a touch more effort into chasing notable birds, without ruining my social and family life.
     Last Friday I didn't want to miss out on some special birds- a big miss for last year was a common merganser, so when I heard there was one on the lake in Prospect Park, I wanted to pay a visit and plan it out with also catching a life bird, an Evening Grosbeak in Riverside Park in Manhattan.
     It was a good day, despite missing the canvasback that was reported by the state park just north of Riverside Park.
Common mergansers are slick looking birds. This drake is bold and striking- the females are just as beautiful with softer browns and greys.

He went into a bit of a preening session, shaking out his wings.
Rolling over to clean up those feathers on the belly. You can see those legs, set back, further than the average duck. Giving them advantage when they dive and all that propulsion coming from the back end.

Very happy to catch this bird out on the lake-- while I would have liked to roam Prospect Park, I next headed up to the upper limits of Manhattan.
And my travels paid off.


In overcast conditions, in the thicket of vines and shrubs, was this chunky, glowing male Evening Grosbeak. I did the best that I could with photos, and also felt I captured the essence of viewing this bird in terms of obstructions in viewing.

Why do people flip their s--t when these birds show up? These are the winter finches and this is a good winter to spot one as their food sources up north were not as plentiful as usual, so they move onward to where they can find some grub.
More information about this winter finch irruption explained by Cornell Lab of Ornithology: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/this-could-be-the-winter-you-get-evening-grosbeaks-at-your-feeder/

These birds, while not endangered are in decline, due to loss of habitat, among other factors. They rely on the northern forests for their breeding.



Always something in the way...
These dried up berries seemed to be a huge favorite for this bird.

Showing how that beak is good for crushing ad mashing up fruits. At feeders they love black oil sunflower seeds.

So much nom.

That heavy, thick bill is so neat!



Totally wasted an hour and a half watching this bird and it was 100% worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment