Saturday, January 26, 2019

Canvasback #79 #338

     I went out yesterday continuing to try and build up my year list with some birds who are only here for the winter. It was a success. I drove out to Baisley Pond and Jamaica By Wildlife Refuge. Baisley had a lot more going on as much of the east and west ponds in Jamaica Bay were frozen. Baisley also had a life bird I was super happy to encounter. I love birding in NYC, such amazing abundance and sights to see in sometimes the oddest places.
Gadwall were very present on Baisley. I also got some nice close looks. From afar, gadwall are a brown duck, closer inspection reveals their fine details and beauty.

How many species of bird do you see?
I see six... Ring-necked duck, gadwall, American wigeon, Canada Goose, Mallard, and American coot.
This gadwall guy was quacking up a storm. They sounded very much like a hunters duck call, but shot and deep in tone.



Drake American wigeon.

A hungry little white-throated sparrow.

White-throated sparrows are renowned for their amazing manners.


This is a very special floating lump.
This is a canvasback.
And a life bird.
Bird 79 of 2019 and 338 on my life list.

While waiting for the canvasback to wake, I looked at ring-necked ducks.

Finally, he woke.
And a nice comparison between the Canvasback, left and Redhead, right. That sloped forehead, whiter mid section, and red eyes!

Very happy to view this duck!

A short little preen before he went right back into that nap.

Female and male ring-necked ducks. Quite a number on the pond, enough so that ebird flags them as a high count. I feel like last winter there were just as many here.

Waterfowl mix.
Redheads, American wigeon, mallard, coot, Canada goose.


A little Junco before Jamaica Bay.

Jamaica Bay had good stuff too, but a lot less. Got a year bird here too, Tree sparrow, year bird #81. This is NOT a tree sparrow, but a house finch.

Next weekend, is my favorite, Superb Owl Sunday. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment