Sunday, February 3, 2019

Superb Owl 2019

     It's that time of year again, Surpeb Owl Sunday! Let's celebrate the owls that got me through this season and then we'll take a look at some owls of past seasons. All are champions, many of whom fly great distances to the places where we had the the chance to cross paths.
     It happen to be, that this point of the year is an exciting time for owls, Many are starting to find a mate and nest. Which is why it's also a good chance to remind the biggest owls fans, that it is super important not to disrupt owls during the day, approach a nest site, and share their locations due to the crowds they draw which in turn are detrimental to their natural habits and behaviors. If you do have the very fortunate chance to happen upon an owl, it's important to mind your distance, keep voice levels down, and overall keep a low profile.
     Even though an owl will do it's best to keep a low profile itself, it generally knows you are there. It heard you coming before you saw it and is doing it's best to "blend in." If an owl opens its eyes wide or raises its tufts of feathers suddenly (if it has feather tufts, not all do), or goes into an alerted posture-- then you know you've gone too far. Unfortunately these are often the photos photographers crave and some go to great lengths at the expense of the animal for that perfect photo. When I see a bird, I'm glad to see it, and if a few pine needles, blades of grass or other obstructions are in the way, so be it. That's what owls look like, hidden!
     Anywhere, here are some owls from the 2018-19 season, taken at 500mm zoom, photos are cropped, and I never overstayed my welcome...
Saw my first barred owl in December. I really like the birds a lot. I used to work with one, his name was Kirk. He would give his signature "who-cooks-for-you?" call any time a police or fire siren drove by.
I can confirm, this bird is 95% feathers.

Saw this snowy last December. It looked to be eating well.

Then a crow flew by and caused the bird to perk up and give a glimpse of their "I'm not messing around" bits.
Shared this snowy with my friend Jeffrey in January. And nice to see this bird being fairly respected by its photo entourage.

A life bird last month, I get to finally say, I saw-whet!I saw three of three of whet, actually. Very very special to see these birds. And holy heck, they are tiny!!!

I see why pinecones are mistaken for these little too-ters.
Oh yeah, saw-whets dont "Whoo," they "Too!"

Now for some past season owls...
Got to share this Eastern Screech also with my friend, Jeffrey- it was a life bird for us both!
I also have a soft spot for birds that share similar plumage to myself.



I froze my @$$ off for 3 hours as dusk appoached, waiting to see my lifer barn owl.
Here it was.
It popped its head up and looked around.
Blinds are a great tool to provide a respectful shade and keep folks at a respectable distance giving birds owl or not some necessary privacy.

It could probably hear me shivering and was probably enjoying the spell it had cast on us silly hairless mammals, waiting just to catch a glimpse.
It might have even be mirroring us, as we peeked through a blind to see an owl peering at us, from its blind.

When your tipped off by the blue jays. Some of the best ways to find owls and other raptors, follow the mobbing blue jays. This great horned owl was being mobbed by a number of noisy jays.

No comments:

Post a Comment