Friday, August 26, 2022

A Needed Boat Ride

     I have been really craving a whale watch, and I have gone on many, I've been in Cape Cod and was blown away by seeing 3 species, I have been from Boston in the stormiest worst weather, watching fin whales frolic carelessly through the waves, I remember my first, as a kid in the 3rd grade, nerding out on the boat, knowing the answers to all the naturalists' questions and freaking out seeing Minkie whales and Atlantic white-sided dolphins. Needless to say, I have always loved cetaceans. And whenever I see them, it makes me feel child-like in excitement to share a place with them.

    Yesterday, I went aboard the American Princess with Gotham Whale, and you know what they say, 4th time's the charm (I've been 3 times, with no whales). In less than an hours time, two whales were swimming and diving in the waters around the boat. I had chills seeing these animals up against the skyline that is not only familiar to me as a huge city, but also my home. And no less than maybe 5 or so miles from my actual home, in the waters that I swim in, spy birds in, and play sanderling in with my daughter (running away and to the waves like a sanderling), here were the animals that just strike my with so much awe and remind me of why I do what I do with my career, with how I raise my kiddo, and how I generally navigate the world and ensuring it is one filled with wildlife.

If you want to hear unfiltered joy, the gasps and squeals from a whale watch is it.
A humpback whale which can easily reach around 45 or so feet in length swims barely more than 2 or 3 miles offshore in waters that are maybe 30 or so feet deep in our NY Bight.
Named for the hump before their little dorsal fin, these whales are distinguished by their large pectoral fins, which you can see, glowing white underwater.

Humpback whales are also known for their unique fluke patterns. Like a fingerprint, each is unique and for people, researchers "know" each whale by their fluke pattern and have followed many of them for years, even decades!

Here a humpback is lunge feeding, just maybe 5 or 6 miles from where I live.... I live about 4 miles up the road from that bridge there... THIS IS NYC'S BACKYARD!!!!

You can even sneak a peek at that baleen!
These whales use their baleen plates live a sieve, fish get caught and water can be pushed out. The baleen is made of keratin, same stuff as your fingernails.

Humpbacks here are feeding happily upon the now plentiful Atlantic Menhaden, or Bunker. a fish that has become plentiful with cleaner waters and restrictions on how people utilize our natural resources. These fish are fatty and helpful for building up their blubber before they migrate south where they often forgo eating.

With Riis Beach at Gateway National Recreation Area right behind it. When you go to the beach you are swimming with whales!!!!
And sharks, other fish, invertebrates galore, birds, sea turtles, there is so much wildlife below the surface!

A more intimate look at this animal shows the characteristic two-nostril blowhole or all baleen whales, but further up its head, what looks like a propeller scar.
Boats are these large animals' biggest threats. People think they can get close as whales are often poised as gentle giants -- and many are. But Our boats can cause serious injuries and death to these large animals.
But not only are big boats an issue, but small things, like plastics are also a threat to these creatures, causing entanglement, ingestion, and other injury. From the boat, debris was evident in the water, change is needed from more than just us and our individual actions.

Sometimes a fluke would break the surface, signaling the whale was taking a deeper dive below. 

How fortunate are we to have these animals here in New York City?!

Before heading home, we found another humpback associating with a decently sized group of bottlenose dolphins who looked to be of all ages, young and old! We even saw a few leap fully out of the water, a spectacular sight!

    So before I start my new job in the next week and a half, being on a boat full of people with differing views and opinions but clearly connected and invested in whales gives me hope and motivation to get started. Reminding me how so many people are ready to have their eyes opened to the wilderness in our waters, our air, and in the tiniest green spaces by way of a street tree. Because it was awesome to hear people exclaiming how they are amazed at the wildlife here and their ability to witness it. That is the kind of fuel I thrive on and I love bringing people along with me to explore it.

Before the season is up, check out whales with Gotham Whale and American Princess Cruises! Otherwise, join them to see some pinnipeds in the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment