Monday, August 8, 2022

Birdday

     It's my birthday, and as per usual it was spent with birds. I was out with NYC Plover Project ensuring the closed portion of beach for our one and only fledgling from Ft. Tilden could thrive in peace, without threats from people. Here is that little nipper in it's full fledge glory, in photos I took last week:

Even little shorebirds need a drink in this crazy heat!
(note the tongue!) This fledgling is still a bit fuzzy around the edges, but really has those grown-up bird feathers for flight coming in.

Piping plover have very sweet faces, mournful calls, and even when they are at that in-between stage of chick and juvenile, they are still quite darling.

Soon those little wings will carry them off to their winter home.

    This weekend I did have the change to some, what I call, speed birding. I went to the East Pond hoping to see an American Avocet as the other headliners were seen the week prior. And perhaps a little birthday luck was on my side, for when I entered the Northeast corner of the pond, right before my eyes were two American Avocets.

double vision?
I think not.
American Avocets.


I am so beyond fascinated by these birds, they are robust, yet delicate, that bill blows my mind. It seems so fragile.

But by sweeping the bill back and forth in the water, they find yummy things to eat, typically, invertebrates are their faves.

Speaking of... looks to have scored some kind of worm?

I have seen these birds before but in their non-breeding plumage so getting to see those peachy heads,  that was a treat!


While I saw the two Hudsonian Godwits last week, this week I got a closer look from the NE corner. The sun was not in my favor, but that's okay.

Another wonderful rare visitor - I'm so excited for what migration has to bring!

I used my Phone Skope to grab some video of these birds, I love the A train passing through at the end, coinciding with a dowitcher chugging along behind the godwit. 




No comments:

Post a Comment