Saturday, January 6, 2018

Fox Sparrows and Friends

     I was able to layer up and walk into Green-Wood Cemetery this morning, hoping to see some winter birds. The snowscape in the cemetery was beautiful. So much of the snow untouched, and perfect for exploring tracks and other evidence left behind by wildlife. The headstones made for some really amazing drifts with the winds we have been having, one moment you are on grass, then next steep is into a 1.5ft drift of snow.
     Birds were seen in pockets near ket plants where there were berries, seed pods, cones, and even better, fallen seeds with exposed grass. Green-Wood also put out a few feeders which I saw were not busy, only one was being utilized and it was by a punky group of jays.
     I was happy to see so many Fox Sparrows, they are my favorite so today we feature them, mostly, and a few other little birds.
My walk had been relatively quiet until I finally saw a group of flitting wings. I was pleased to find a group of 11 or so fox sparrow feeding in and below this tree above the Valley Water.

Fox sparrow breed in the Northern Parts of Canada and the West. In winter, they can be common feeder birds.

This one cardinal was hanging out with the group, also feeding on the seeds of this little shrub.

Normally during their breeding season, they feed primarily on insects- in winter they make a switch to small seeds and berries.

They are named Fox Sparrows for those red fox colors. In the East our birds are the "red" subspecies- in the west there is a "Sooty" and "slate-colored" subspecies. 
Larger than the other sparrows in the area- many a birder would refer to these birds as "chunky."


Safety in numbers- these birds are sought out by predators like hawks and merlin that all frequent the cemetery.


I love these beautiful little sparrows!

I always find blue jays so damn hard to photograph. They are too smart- far away is too close for them- and they do a darn good job of making it hard to get a clear shot.

There is no denying these common, noisy birds are really beautiful, no matter how common and annoying they can sometimes be! They are my raptor finders, so I love 'em!

A Northern Mocking bird keeps warm near the Crescent Water.

Some melt water on a mausoleum roof provides freshwater for a dark-eyed junco to enjoy. Most water sources are frozen solid at this point. 
I love how this tiny little junco kicks up the snow on its landing!

I did, in this Junco frequented area, find some evidence of a junco who may not have made it. I made, and narrated (sorry), a short little video of the amazing predatory evidence I found in the snow. My guess is this was a Coopers Hawk versus a Junco- due to the length of the tail and small wing span, and the nature of it capturing a small songbird- make me go the Coop route- plus they are always in the cemetery...


One last sparrow, a song sparrow, feathers fluffed, one foot pulled in and sitting in the sun-- all in a days work to sat warm when its only 11 degrees outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment