Saturday, October 13, 2018

Picking Up Where I had Left Off...

     I did go to Floyd Bennett Field yesterday to bird, but totally got distracted when I suddenly saw black clouds billowing up from the trees. Fearing there was a large brush fire, I drove to another vantage point. I found there was a barge under the Belt Parkway on Fire. Texting, probably way too much to Tim about all the excitement. I watched as firefighters had to put out a fire that was well below the parkway and on a floating vessel. It was pretty amazing to watch as the winds didn't give up, only fueling a fire until fire boats arrived. Trust me, you would have watched too!

     So after my project of painting the upstairs hallway ceiling, with paint still on my face and probably in my hair, I went back to Floyd. Picking up where I left off- wanting to scout for some sparrows. I was happy to see the sun came out and couldn't let myself have been confined to our home all day. I sure was happy to get outside, even more so since my little trip was nothing short of perfect.
A savannah sparrow among the savannah of Brooklyn. Floyd Bennet Field provides grassland that is relished by many species, especially unique to this habitat. While Savannah Sparrows can be seen in other open areas, like those among dunes on our coast, or grassy fields in some of our urban parks, they are especially plentiful here.

The Savannah sparrows were busy on the ground foraging with large numbers of American Goldfinch. While I didn't see much other sparrow besides a single swamp sparrow I relished seeing some other things...

Like this yellow-billed cuckoo who just flew into the tree I was watching sparrows and goldfinch in. They are such cool birds, and a little weird too, I think that's why I like them.

Thanks to a tip from friends, I went down to Archery Road to hopefully see some birds that I needed for 2018. They were not black-bellied plovers. But I was still happy to see them, none-the-less. I think they look quite dapper in their winter plumage.

This is the bird I was very happy to see, a red knot. I wonder where it's final winter destination is, maybe Brazil, maybe even further south. Many birds fly wayyyy down to Tierra del Fuego, just a stones throw from the Antarctic. That's incredible after having spent the summer at or in the Arctic Circle.

If this image of a black-bellied plover doesn't warm your heart for even just a flicker of a moment, putting your scientist hat aside, this little bird is so cute.
Admit it.
Be a pLOVER not a fighter.

There were 4 red knots here when I arrived. All picking at the barnacles and whatever was living among them. It's time to fuel up, this bird has a long trip ahead! Better get a move-on because...
... Winter is coming.

(Brants are/have been back and I'm sure more are on the way!)



No comments:

Post a Comment