Wednesday, April 17, 2019

It's the Most Warblerful Time of the Year!

     "It's that time of year, huh?" - Tim

Yes. The time where after work I manage to have ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD to go birding. I will jet for an hour, to see some birds. I might even *GASP* skip breakfast and bird before work.

It's spring migration and it is just so exciting to see little birdie faces that you have not seen in months! Like seeing an old friend, its joyful and brings so much happiness.

A handsome Pine Warbler at the Lower Pool.
Warblers seem to be trickling in, pine and palm are very abundant.

I was so happy to see this wood duck on the shore, it made e forget about the weird guy who told me how I have a memorable face and that I should grab drinks with him. He (seemed like) was trying to talk about birds but didn't really know much, so I conversed with him - I don't mind sharing information. But then he got weird.
Guys, come here, listen in... if you start talking to a female in the park, who is by themselves don't get creepy. You can have a conversation, but don't be a creep.

Anyway, seeing this wood duck after that uncomfortable moment made me feel better.

Then I saw birders... safety in numbers!
Also, that means there is something good!
Prothonotary Warbler!

Even in bad photos it looks SO GOOD.

Not a bird of the North East, these birds during spring often overshoot their breeding range. This bird will eventually turn around and head down to the South East where they nest in tree hollows in wetlands and near lakes.

Speaking of tree hollows this one was very busy looking into the hollows of this tree!

Another target achieved in my post-work outing, a vesper sparrow!
With that eye-ring and streaky upper chest, among the chipping sparrows this was an easy bird to pick out of the crowd.

A chipping sparrow for comparison. 
A typical warbler photo.


... a black and white warbler photo, to be precise.

Look. Another terrible photo.
But no one cares.
Because it is so damn cute.

Some lucky shots for this guy!
That prothonotary knows how to engage its crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment