Friday, June 7, 2019

Land and Water at Jamaica Bay

     Today I did some birding on land and in the water. By land, I walked a bit of the West Pond at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. Then, I got my kayak in the water from the northeastern beach on Broad Channel's North Channel and explored Elder's Point. I enjoyed getting my kayak in the water for the first time this year, worked in some good blisters on my hands from paddling!
A house wren wonders why I have to always eavesdrop on their singing.

I saw this turtle moving fast from afar, crossing the trail. Terrapins are active an on the move. Saw so many out in the water today! It is always a special treat to see them out on the trails. I love their back feet!

A willow flycatcher. I was able to mis-id and then id properly. Recording and listening to its song helped. For Empid flycatchers, its the best way to help you get an identification of the correct species. 

The yellow warblers were singing like there is no tomorrow.

So were the common yellow throats....

and the house wrens.

The Canada goose goslings are starting to get into that awkward stage...

This one is 100% there.

A judgmental song sparrow.

The best photo ever.
Also, a house wren is actually using the house wren box.
In my time at the marsh I had the chance to introduce two folks from the west coast to horseshoe crabs and diamondback terrapins. I love meeting people out in the field and sharing in nature.

I took to my kayak and paddled out to some of the marshy islands of Elders Point. These black-crowned night herons kept a low profile among the loud gulls.
I switched to the 300mm lens, I'm not risking the 500mm on the water. Especially with how heavy that thing is... or how much it costs.

It was nice to be one with the herring gulls.

This nice flock of glossy ibis flew in and disappeared in the grasses of the island.

I enjoyed traveling around here in my Kayak as there was not a lot of boat traffic through the shallow waters. If one does take to a kayak in these areas it is important to remember not to land on any of these areas as they are protected for wildlife that lives upon them.

And then there was an osprey brawl. Two birds were on a nest, when a third came soaring near, one of the pair took off in pursuit. It was very impressive.

And then, that bird from the nest, with rage in its eyes went after every single cormorant.

Giving impressive chase, you would know it was going after one because you'd hear this "burp" sound that was just a cormorant exclaiming expletives as it avoided the talons.

I have never seen an osprey fly fast in a straight line, always soaring, and if anything fast, it's a dive. But this bird had beef with anything near its nest, it even made me paddle  a good distance around its platform on the island.

This moment is everything.
Taking photos from a boat is very precarious. You have to stay balanced, the current carries you (faster than you think) and every thing moves. So capturing this, while not crisp, really was what that moment was. I bet this all played out as a blur for that cormorant too!

The egrets too were frisky, these snowies having a bouncing, screaming squabble in the grasses.

I WILL SQUISH YOU.

While the egret show was going on, I enjoyed some semipalmated sandpipers before making my way back. I look forward to more paddling out this way, as there is so much to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment