Sunday, November 17, 2019

Just some birds.

     On Friday I birded through Green-Wood Cemetery. Still trying to get a feel for my camera and practicing as much as I can. I want to be confident in using it as I am planning some winter bird trips of a lifetime and I want to capture all the birds in stills!
     I think I am doing okay.
One of very many chipping sparrows.
The native plantings that the Cemetery has put in near the big cathedral is just an absolute hit for seed-eating birds. Chipping sparrows blanket the ground, unseen, and then when you walk up the path dozens flush from the tall grasses.
A pair of hermit thrush by the Dell Water proved to be very tolerant. Usually I make eye contact with a hermit thrush and they take cover.
These two hopped up into view to and from the grasses below.
That tail, rufous in color, is a nice easy way to tell this is a hermit.


oh, henlo.

Across the Dell Water, this young red tail was hunting squirrels that were vertically climbing the same tree it was perched in.
Needless to say, this inexperienced hunter came up empty taloned.
The squirrel ran back up the tree and yelled its disdain back down at the bird, perhaps mocking its predator.
But this bird is so beautiful among the fallen autumn leaves!
That look.
I'm red-bellied woodpecker.
Sure, I'll allow you the chance to see my red belly.
Now go on, carry on....
And some of these little green babies before we part...
They were doing some minor structural work on their nest, gathering twigs from this river birch.
AND YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!
PARROT TONGUES!!!!!! 😛

Look at that perfect pink tongue!!!
They would all come to the tree in shifts and then one by one bring back their haul.
Good job, little bud.
I have to work on my action shots.



No comments:

Post a Comment