Sunday, May 3, 2020

The Early Bird

     After getting a morning out this past week and feeling more like myself, I planned a way to get some outdoor time, remain socially distant, get my body moving, and beat the crowds. Thankfully I am very much a morning person. I was so excited to get out that I woke at 4am, listened to the rain and the dismay of the house sparrows that I suspect were roosting in a tree or bush and got poured upon. I knew the morning called for rain, and to be honest I welcomed it, It really would delay folks in getting outside. Tim also wanted to get out so I wanted to get him acquainted with a nearby park, we took to Canarsie Park. I walked some of the more natural areas while he went on a for a run (with a face covering). In one hour I racked up 30 species.
     After dropping Tim off at home (he has to work in the mornings on the weekends) I then headed to the Salt Marsh Nature Center in Marine Park and racked up 41 species in a little over an hour before the breakfast hunger pangs kicked in at full force.
     And again, I am so happy with my camera and how it performs, especially in low light. Yay!

I have only birded Canarsie Park in cold months. I suppose it's time to get to know this local patch a bit better because I need some walking options postpartum and this might be the place.

One song, familiar, that I haven't heard in some time rang out from nearly every place I explored.
"Sweet, Sweet, I'm so Sweet!"
Yellow warblers were everywhere, chasing one another.
And as they sang and flitted about, the rain came down, steady. But it was okay with me. It was fairly warm, nothing drenching and just something to extend the morning and keep the nature-phobic inside. 
My heart, I love Baltimore orioles and I saw about 6 or so in the park. They love the oaks right now, which are flowering. Orioles love nectar and fruits so if you have a flowering tree, look for orioles!


I love their bold colors, and these are certainly my first of 2020. I hope they will nest here so I can visit again and again.

Also, did I mention their song? It's very beautiful and flute-like. It's one of my favorites.

I noticed a lot fo trees with evidence of use by woodpeckers. In addition to this Northern Flicker, I also saw a downy woodpecker.

I love that catbirds are back. They are incredibly common but I greatly enjoy their attitude and fearlessness.
After dropping my husband back off at home, I got to the Marine Park Salt Marsh Nature Center. It has been a very long time since I have visited. I was greeted by blue-headed vireos, American Goldfinches, catbirds, blue jays and robins upon entering. At the green bridge, I saw nothing, but then a greater yellowlegs made a loud entrance to claim its space in the exposed mud.


We hear you, pal.

Then it waded through the deeper water closer to the green bridge and showed off those long yellow legs.
I did have one bird I was really hoping to at the very least hear. And I heard two. The loud "CLACK-CLACK-CLAK-CLAK-CLAK!!" of the clapper rail.
Then while standing on a viewing platform over the marsh, I saw movement in the grass. I thought it to be a song sparrow or red-winged blackbird, but it was a clapper rail having itself a preen!

If it wasn't for that movement, I'd for sure have missed this bird. They blend in SO well. They creep under the grasses and I consider even this view a win, and the grasses are still so short!
While this bird did not vocalize, in viewing it, three others from three different directions and distances made their calls at one another. And still, I only saw this one.


They will breed here and their little babies, jet black, will, like baby chickens be on the move from the moment they are born. They will traverse the marsh with their parents.

These birds have long legs but even longer toes, to walk through the plants and mud with ease. They are so well adapted to this type of habitat.

I am so happy I got to see this bird today. They are easily in my top 10. If I were a bird, I'd be most like a clapper rail. Awkward, frantic, and talking way too loud.
Awesome to see one of the osprey pair on the nest. Looks like they are into gardening this year...
Also a nice view, an Easter towhee. The "Drink your tea" was ringing out in the area, as this bird and other males were singing in the area behind the basketball courts.

Catbirds "MEW-ing" and also singing a little of their melodious song.
A perfect grey catbird!

And then it was time to go...
But nature said, oh hell no, we got one more for ya...

A male ring-necked pheasant. I took a lot fo photos, here come a ton of glamour shots...

Just foraging along Avenue U, zero cares about being admired.
I know these birds can be seen at the Salt Marsh and at Floyd Bennett Field, but in my visits I have never seen a single one. And then today, where the park has cleared away a lot of brush and looks to be doing some restorative work of the habitat, here he is!
These pheasants were introduced for hunting and in our area, they are just around because (I don't think) any one can hunt in NYC. They are really freaking beautiful though!
These birds forage on seeds, plants, and insects. It looks to have some seeds it found. They run and walk mainly but will take flight - although they seem more suited to be on foot.
Oddly enough, this bird is foraging in purple deadnettle, an invasive plant from Europe and Asia. These Pheasants hail from Asia and parts of Europe, naturally. Maybe the deadnettle tastes like home?
The details on each feather really blow my mind. Feathers are damn amazing and can be so intricate in their detail.

Are you sick of him yet?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
So while I did not get the hordes of warblers that folks got in Prospect and Green-Wood, I am grateful to have gotten out, missed the crowds, and be graced by some birds that I really love. In a span of three hours or so, this early bird really lucked out and found things in their favor!
I'm looking forward to getting to know Canarsie park a bit better, especially with our baby that is due any moment now!

No comments:

Post a Comment