Friday, September 24, 2021

Birding with a Toddler at Tilden

     A story every parent in familiar with as all their kids have gone back to in-person learning, a staff member at Kes' daycare tested positive so the place is closed for 10 days. So it's working at home with a toddler and today, on my day off, we went beach birding. I've been wanting to visit Ft. Tilden to see the whimbrels that continue to be reported there, in decent numbers. We packed our running stroller, a few sand toys, and snacks (a very, very important component to birding with a toddler).

    One thing she does, whenever we are seeing something good is she get a little cranky. Well today, she threw some full on tantrums, so I knew things would turn out well.

Everything began fine, saw some sanderlings and even some American Oystercatchers that were super chill. Perhaps migrating through and grabbing a much needed rest, because they barely batted an eye at us. Even at the little kid picking up sand and putting it back down, only to repeat the process over and over about 15 more times.


And then we came upon exactly what I'd been hoping for and then some. A group of 5 whimbrels and an American golden plover.

I gave the kiddo a toy rake and while she played in the sand I snapped as many photos as I could.

I have seen whimbrel before, but far off, in meh conditions, and in New Jersey. That makes these whimbrels a state bird! State bird #311, that is. This whimbrel is also a year bird, #235 for the year.

Speaking of year birds, this American golden plover was year bird #236.

I'm pretty sure this bird is in its juvenile plumage. I could tell it wasn't a black-bellied plover because it has a bigger head, doe-y eyes, and a bit less chunky. I even saw a second bird that flew a few feet behind us, as I walked a cranky kid in my arms while pushing a stroller, and its wing pits were clean. A black-bellied plover would have black in their wing pits.

I was definitely overstaying the time that Kes allotted me. I was just so stoked to get some decent photos with a kid tugging on my legs or grabbing at my camera.

I then went to my snack tactic, as we continued along the beach. It got us far enough to another group of whimbrel. To keep the kiddo happy, she loves a good seat. So we took a seat on a piece of driftwood that gave us a lovely view of these birds.
It was at this point, I should ride the high and get us back. We had traveled barely a 1/4 mile from where we left the car. But it was a long 1/4 mile walk back. 

We bid the whimbrels good bye, and I got my mom work out. Hauling a 22 lb squirming kid, pushing a stroller through the sand, and just taking some breaths and thanking the heavens that the beach was fairly empty. 
Of course back at the parking lot, she was back to her usual good spirits. We both got what we wanted, and I mean, seriously - she got her lifer whimbrels AND American golden plovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment