Thursday, October 7, 2021

Plumb & Floyd 10.6.21

     In a crazy turn of events, this last week the kid's day care was closed for non-Covid related things and my spouse and I were not ready for another week of working at home while being parents. So with the help of some grandparents swooping in, we were child-free for nearly 4 days. I know for the grandparents it was rough, in the way that they had to hang out with the cutest, most loving little nugget, day in and out! I did learn that they took her out for walks to look at birds, so her training has not skipped a beat! (Grandparents are the best!)

    So of course, not having ALL THIS FREE TIME, I did a few bird outings before work, after work, the world was my oyster. Since I had a late shift yesterday, I did a nice robust morning of birding at Plumb Beach and a quick twitch at Floyd Bennett Field. You know that you've birded without a kiddo, because you got semi-decent photos on an overcast day. I usually have a friend tugging my legs or jostling me, so such a feat would normally be impossible. I would be kidding myself of course, if I didn't say that I very much enjoyed a little extra kid-free bird time...


One of a large group of Sanderling, with a pair of dunlin mixed in.

The two dunlin.
Ultimately these birds were spooked off by off-leash dogs.

Two juvenile semipalmated plovers were busy being as round as they could be, hanging out at the wrack line. They were far enough away from the water that I suppose they went undetected by the dogs.

I took my scope with me and got some video of the birds at Plumb by way of my PhoneSkope adapter.
And then the eye piece on my scope decided to detach and not re-attach, so now my scope has been sent to Vortex to get repaired.

100% what I came to see, this is a Nelson's Sparrow. Also saw Saltmarsh and Seaside Sparrows! Was also graced with the presence of a Caspian AND royal tern! I wasn't sure if a high tide visit would pay off, but it definitely did.

I also took my scope with me, and got some video of the birds.



I visited FLoyd when I heard there was an American Golden Plover. so since I was so close, I gave it a quick try. 
I arrived to a NYPD Helicopter doing water drills, noisily over where the bird was reported. What are the chances it would still be there.
Well, this belted kingfisher didn't seem to care, so perhaps I'd be in luck.

The original finder was still there, and said the bird was hanging tight.
I walked over and there it was! My first American Golden Plover was at Floyd Bennett Field last winter.

And of course there was also a nice black-bellied plover for comparison!

Now that the kiddo is back, I'm looking forward to a nature walk tomorrow together. Birding alone is fun, but I look forward to some very organic nature exploration tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment