Friday, November 5, 2021

Toddler Twitch?

     I met my good friend Christine for some outdoor time, hoping to see some birds, get some fresh air, use our cameras, and keep a toddler busy. We met at the Marine Park Salt Marsh and we were already off to a great start, a super whiny, tantrum-throwing start. In the back of my head, I also knew an American Bitterns was here yesterday, would we be in such luck to be graced by its presence today?

    The annoying toddler behavior continued, even until the green bridge that brings you to the trail loop. The kiddo was acting super clingy and whining at the look of any person that past us by. It's been a while since we've seen a rare bird together because as I was talking to Christine, minding my kiddo, and looking at birds, I immediately pressed pause on my story and honed my eyes on the bird that just flew in...

AN AMERICAN BITTERN! It landed so close to us just behind some grasses, and disappeared as I wrangled my child into a position that made me feel she is secure enough for me to attempt some photos. But as bitterns do, it disappeared under our noses.
We changed positions and took a post further away and watched it cross directly in front of where we once were to dart into some grasses. I was kind of sad to not get a photo, but more feeling so fortunate to have seen one, but also have it fly right in front of us.

But then it darted back out (again, in front of where we were earlier) but continued to walk toward our new post. And did that bittern thing.

Bitterns stand quite erect, relying on their plumage to help them blend into reeds and grasses. Their eyes point downward, so when holding their head like this, they can just fine see where they are walking.

But when a bittern is not in the grass, doing its bittern thing, it looks a little silly. And yes, I giggled a lot.

What is important to note here, aside from getting an amazing unobstructed view of a normally secretive bird is that whenever we are about to see a really good bird, the kiddo throws a fit of some kind. And she did that here. And then as we saw the bird, she went into this pleasant angelic mode, delighting the other birders who also joined in on this sight. The kid has a sixth sense for birds, I know it!

We kept going, and now the kiddo decides that she doesn't want to be in the stroller but rather push it, herself. 
The good news is, it slows us down so we can actually look at things. Slowed us down enough to time this encounter just right, we watched this male ring-necked pheasant dart across the freshly mowed field.

I bet he is wondering where all that grass went.

A few small patches were left on the field, so he grass patch hopped until he reached the un-mowed portion of the place.
The toddler pushed her stroller for about a 1/4 mile, on the gravel trails, which is no easy feat and will hopefully sleep a long hard sleep tonight after so much activity in the Salt Marsh today.

No comments:

Post a Comment