Monday, May 16, 2022

Clapper Rail Appreciation Post

     Whenever we do one of those work icebreakers of, "what animal do you feel represents you best and why," I almost always choose clapper rails. Like them, I'm a bit of an introvert and don't mind being hidden among the chaos of life, but when my voice is needed, I have no problem being loud, I'm a little awkward, and I too love the marsh. There it is, I am a clapper rail.

    Last week, on Friday the 13th, I did a walk around the Salt Marsh Nature Center at Marine Park, I've been hearing clapper rails, but surely more are arriving and not only was that true, but they also were singing their songs of longing and love. Claiming their territory with that "kek-kek-kek-kek" call, but also a number ending that call with a "kek-kek-kek-kurrrrrr" ending in a trill I honestly don't think I have ever heard. 

    It all started with one rail, screaming it's face off and only got better from there...


Typically, this is considered a most successful viewing of a clapper rail. These birds are very secretive and weave their way through the marsh grasses where they remain under cover, can feed, and even raise their chicks.

I saw this bird just crossing over from the green bridge at the marsh that takes you out onto the main trails. I didn't even get to the first osprey platform before seeing this bird - which I admit is very zoomed in and cropped. Rail spotting is a bit of a challenge. It's mostly trying to look for a (small) chicken sized bird, looking for its movement between the grass blades. It's not easy. But once you have seen them, you get a decent hang of it. Patience is really key.

But this particular bird was not trying to be 100% discrete as it SCREAMED in my general direction. For such a little thing, they have a voice!
I saw at least 6 clapper rails, some right out in the open and it felt like many were claiming their section of the marsh. Many barking their "kek-kek-kek-kek's" back at one another, some even feeling like they resulted in a duet of sorts.
In my heart, I knew this would happen. Low visibility, rainy, foggy, just a cruddy all around scenario for pictures and of course it felt like every clapper rail was on it's own stage, out in the open, just being driven by their hormones to really put themselves in the spotlight. I couldn't grab a single picture, but I did sit on a bench in the rain and take it all in.

As I was leaving, crossing over the green bridge, I noticed the tide was going out. I stopped to admire the greater yellowlegs, the very snazzy looking yellow-crowned night herons, and a pair of boat tailed grackles, make and female even pecked among the muck.
Then I noticed some movement between the reeds.
A clapper rail, practically walking at my feet.
I slowly backed up to give the bird some space, but they seemed to keep carrying on, dipping their bill into the puddles and mud. Even remaining as other people walked by.

Like, you really cannot ask for better views of this bird. So, naturally I devoured this moment.... but made sure to take my time and savor it all.

If you are familiar with chicken breeds, these birds remind of a bantam sized chicken on stilts with extra large feet (and bill, of course). They are not very big at all and as the marsh grasses reach their way towards the sky, moments like this will become harder and harder, they still could happen but, it gets harder!

Those awkwardly large feet are actually a helpful adaptation to life in the marsh. No worries about sinking into mud as it can distribute weight (think like snow shoes!), and also helps these birds walk over rafts of reeds and through grasses especially as the tides roll in.

I even got a nice leg and wing stretch.

Still remaining close, the bird peered around every corner as it explored between the grasses.

From head-on, they are very bowling-pin shape in appearance!

As I mentioned a number of people walked by and the bird hung tight.
It wasn't until a dog crossed the bridge. An animal that is perceived as a predator, and despite being on leash and showing zero interest in the bird caused the bird to spook and run. The impact of just the presence of a dog was quite large! Now think about the dogs that owners let run free where control is fully relinquished. It does a great deal of impact on all wildlife, extending beyond little birds.
Please keep pets leashed and always on trails if you do wish to enjoy the outdoors together.

The rail ran for cover and distanced itself from the bridge after the dog crossed.

It was from there our time ended. One last run in the clear as it strutted into the thick of the marsh, toward the first bird I saw, yelling, when I first entered the trail.
What a special time, I will never, ever, get tired of clapper rails!




No comments:

Post a Comment