Friday, January 13, 2023

Red-headed Woodpecker Neighbor

     So, if there is a red-headed woodpecker less than a 10 minute bike ride from your home, yes. You go see it. Took a 20 minute pause in my morning to grab some looks, some sub-par photos, and yeah, I'm glad I went. Perhaps the little buddy will stick around and maybe even get their full red head in due time.

This immature bird is coming into its red head. Another indicator of its age is that its white wing atches have some black bars,


Red-headed woodpeckers can be found in New York, but like, not reliably where we live, but in other parts of NY, NJ, and places south of us. But a small amount tend to show up every year in the city.

This bird was hanging out in Marine Park, and as for exactly where.... oh I just can't quite recall...

(It was at the entrance near Stuart Street and the Avenue T intersection....)

I hope this bird sticks around into the weekend, I'd love to see it in some better light.

Trying out some infrastructure.... a lamp post.

Potentially just seeking out advice from some urban birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment