Sunday, March 5, 2023

Birding Florida: Indrio Savannahs Preserve

     We reported down to Port Saint Lucie for some Mets Spring Training, oddly enough, Feb-March birding in Florida is a bit like spring training for the north. You get a taste of warbler, waders, and all the birds to come in the months ahead.

    We spent the night in the area and so I visited Indrio Savannahs Preserve, based on the fact I saw you can see scrub jays there. A 30 minute drive got me to my destination and I also met my first and only mosquitoes of the trip. A nice person on the trail told me of some cranes that were easy to view and so I followed his directions and saw them along with some others too! I was also fortunate enough to find a Florida Scrub Jay here, with no luck on grabbing a photo.

Upon walking in, the place was aflutter with warblers, mostly palm (above), yellow-rumped, and one magnolia.


I followed a trail as instructed by a person earlier and I got to see this American Kestrel fly in with a dragonfly it caught!

There were plenty of dragonflies to go around, what a great meal that must have been!

I found my way to this Snadhill crane, and heard a number limpkins in the background. It was so nice to see this bird and all alone. I do really enjoy a little bit of time to myself.

I later on my way back, found two more sandhill cranes who made sure to not allow too much quiet time, as they trumpeted away as I made my way down the trail.

I love seeing these tall, leggy birds. Such a treat, and in Florida, they are everywhere.

I did love hearing them, I imagine its what their extinct cousins sounded like (dinosaurs, that is).


No comments:

Post a Comment