Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Some Recent Birds and an Anhinga

    Here I am trying to avoid all the bird FOMO when I'm working and then a flipping Anhinga shows up IN BROOKLYN. A bird that is pretty much found in every waterside ditch in Florida is here. SO I went and saw on my commute in to work today.
    I also did some plover patrol last weekend and had some lovely looks at a young Iceland Gull along with some other beach birds. 
    Anyway, pictures, here you go:
Part of the beach soundscape, the American Oystercatcher. I liked this one all perched up on the rocks overlooking the waves.

A silver gull in front of the Silver Gull Beach Club.

EXCUSE ME. I AM AN ICELAND GULL.

Just in case you didn't hear them.
Also wants you to know that they are a first winter Iceland gull.

Squaring off with a juvenile ring billed gull.

Doing a glam beach walk through the surf...

Always a treat to see!

A very rotund piping plover. I love a good round bird.

A plover we are monitoring with NYC Plover Project.
You can join us, training is May 6th!

Some cruddy pics of the Anhinga, but I'll take it! This is my 322nd bird for New York and my 272nd bird for Kings (Brooklyn).

Found by Birder, Radka yesterday, this bird is bringing everyone out to see it.

I was lucky enough to see it swim and surface with a speared fish that it then flicked back, caught, and swallowed. So maybe this bird will stick around. Word on the street is they have been moving northward more and more.

The warblers have barely dropped in, so looks like there is still much excitement to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment