Monday, January 20, 2014

Winter Waterfowl

     I almost didn't go, because the grey sky and cold enticed me to just stay in a blanket on the couch. I knew I'd regret not getting out, so I just put on my thermals, bundled up and got out on my own for a bit. I headed out to Jamaica Bay and the waterfowl were plentiful. Among today's sightings were brant and Canada geese, Northern pintails, buffleheads, gadwalls, ring-billed gulls, herring gulls, black back gulls, black ducks, mallards, mute swans, and an unidentifiable raptor. Nothing super remarkable was seen, but I'm glad I made the decision to get up and out, before the weather turns super-wintry tomorrow with cold and snow.
A dapper ring-billed gull on the beach area when you first arrive on Broad Channel.
A northern pintail with some black ducks.
The Canada geese win for having the most personality and character today.
Mute swans are shadowed by the Empire State Building. If I were a mute swan I'd consider moving, NY may not be so welcoming.

This gull swears that his landing was actually much better than what it appears...
The Freedom Tower from Jamaica. A raptor sits on a platform on the lower left, I could not ID, even with binoculars.


No comments:

Post a Comment