Monday, April 17, 2017

Manhattan Birding

     After work today I headed into Manhattan to catch some birds that I need for my 2017 list and just because they are worth seeing while they are in town. My goals were to find the red headed woodpecker, red necked grebe, and a cattle egret in Midtown. Needless to say, I got them all!
     I was lucky enough to have some fantastic weather on my side and it made for a great afternoon/evening out!
The red headed woodpecker has been at this same area for quite some time now and has a gorgeous red head!

Found just off 68th Street and 5th Avenue, this bird was high up in the tree. You would honestly never notice it



Terrible photo, but he snagged a bumble bee.


It was pretty cool to watch this guy for a while.

An American Robin and some flowers. Spring.

Common Grackle.

The Reservoir provided really great looks at buffleheads-- very close to the sides to view. So I didn't let this opportunity go. 


You can also view the waterfowl from an elevated path, so you can practically look down on them, offering a view you don't often get. 
The closest look I have ever had at a gadwall. For a brown duck, they are gorgeous when you can catch all those details.



This red-necked grebe was a released bird from the Wild Bird Fund and has not left the place since being released. So I enjoyed some up close looks at this gorgeous bird.





Then I took the C train to Penn Station and walked to 28th Street to enjoy some good looks at this cattle egret who has called a small patch of green there, "home." This bird was busy catching fat flies that gathered in the sun in the grass.

The bird is also in breeding plumage, so it just looks so sharp.


With a fly in its beak.



The bird also flew towards myself and other observers to land in a nearby tree.

Closer inspection shows binocular vision, the better to capture flies with.



I was glad I took some time to venture out of Brooklyn today, my year list is now at 151!

No comments:

Post a Comment