Friday, March 2, 2018

Prospect Park 2.24.18

     I continue to be late in sharing findings, life has become very busy with very many (not bad) things going on in my world. So with that, going outside is my priority in my free time. It's very important to me as one who doesn't meditate and do all that sorta stuff- the outdoors helps me find balance and to focus all my efforts on wildlife and identifying it, leaving no time for my mind to think about anything else.
     As Tim prepares for round two of the NYC Marathon, it leaves me an open window of me time to go birding. This is a nice balance for us to be able to tend to ourselves and focus on our interests with our free time.
     Last week I took that window of time and did a loop around the lake in Prospect Park. It was crisp and refreshing- not at all cold with some sounds and sights of spring.
After finding Lookout Hill pretty empty of birds but full of runners for the annual Al Gordon 4 Mile race, I headed down from Well House drive to the lake/Lullwater where I found this Juvenile Cooper's hawk staring off toward the lake where lots of sparrows were singing and flying around.

When I rounded the trunk of that same tree, I saw a larger hawk- a red tail in the same tree, staring off in the same direction, perhaps more focused on the squirrels also active in the same area as the sparrows. I was surprised to see both hawks sitting together in such close proximity- I usually see different species of hawks chasing each other when they are close in proximity, I would assume this has to do with similar prey interests.

But these two seemed alright together, I'm not complaining I love raptors and a two for one tree special is a great deal!

Sounds of spring were in the air with the loud "honk-a-ree!" of the red-wing blackbirds, singing loudly in the phragmites and low shrubs around the lake. This is a sound I am very happy to hear - also singing were song sparrows, cardinals, and lots of low coo-ing by the mourning doves.

As I approached Lakeside, I took a trip up the green roof of LeFrak where a Hockey game was taking place below and this non-singing song sparrow splayed out across this perch on the roof.

When singing, song sparrows are loud and can usually be seen belting out their song, of versus repeated 2-3 times each, from the top of a perfect branch to ensure their song is broadcast to all nearby females.

A sign of spring- Common Grackles have arrived! Saw small groups at the tops of trees scattered about around the lake. 
On the lake I enjoyed seeing a small group of male (this is a male) and female ring-neck ducks. They do have a faint ring around their neck that you barely ever see- but they are easy to identify from scaups and similar ducks because of that ring also around their bill.



Not a typical lake visitor- a pair of horned grebes have been on the lake for the past week or so. Normally you see these birds off the coast. Maybe these two had a hankering for fresh water fish.

Grebes are very odd birds- they have odd pupils, and cute fluffy bums-- and their feet are quite odd too, they are not webbed but lobed.

Like I said, they have very interesting eyes.

A red breasted merganser drake tries to blend in among the ruddy ducks-- again, seen quite commonly on the coast- must have been craving fresh water.

Serious credit to female wood ducks for making this happen, drake wood ducks are a bird you never get sick of seeing. Good job wood duck hens, selecting for such gaudy but beautiful plumes generation after generation.

The mallard hen made me laugh- she was quacking up a storm, but she had a very high pitched voice- like as if she had a sore throat. She was very intent on telling someone something.

Another sign of spring, the numbers of Northern Shovelers are decreasing as they head back North. This drake is quite handsome in the morning sun. A lot of ducks were sunning themselves.

But even at rest all head eyes on the world around them, especially as an adult Cooper's hawk flew over and low to stir the locals and cause all to lift their heads for a brief moment until it passed.
Looking forward to more signs of spring with birds moving out and in of our area!

No comments:

Post a Comment