Saturday, March 31, 2018

Spring in Prospect Park

     I told Tim I was planning to spend a nice long morning birding in Prospect Park yesterday, and he asked if he could go with me. I did one of those flabbergasted, "Really?!" answers.
     I was so excited to have Tim's company with me as we walked Lookout Hill, the Ravine, The Sparrow Bowl, across to the Vale and Rose Garden, then back along the Lullwater. It was also a beautiful, mild day, the sun shining- it finally felt a little bit like spring! And I think the birds felt it too...
Saw zero Northern Shovelers on the lake, they have headed back North. But it was great to see 4 wood ducks, 2 males...

And 2 females - look how beautiful she is with the iridescence on those wings!

Saw quite a few brown creepers today, usually I get excited to find one- but I found around 4 today.

While spying this red tail hawk, an old friend and high school classmate of mine ran into us. It was a pleasant surprise and so good to see him doing well and also out enjoying this amazing, much needed weather.

Before spying this downy woodpecker, I was so happy to see a hairy woodpecker in the Ravine. They nearly look a like, but the hairy is slightly larger with a longer, mildly heavier beak.

It must have rained kinglets the last few nights... Golden-crowned kinglets were virtually everywhere. This one at Ambergill falls was nabbing insects trying to sun themselves on the rocks-- and quite successful too!

Found a group of 7 Ring-neck ducks on the upper pool.

Found a small group of my favorites- Cedar Waxwings in the Rose Garden.

And then, when we got home, baseball is back and on for us to enjoy! I am so happy to move away from winter and get into spring. Finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment