Monday, March 28, 2022

New Birds for a New Birder

     So Covid made for some interesting times, to the point where I had coworkers that I hired, worked with, and only interacted with over Zoom. I also learned that in working so closely, but from remote circumstances that my colleague was interested in looking at birds in having had met me through or remote work situation. We had recently reconnected and she told me she became a birder, especially after having herself some new binoculars and has been actively birding.

    Of course in learning this, I had to invite her to go birding and also just actually hang out in real life. We met at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, her first time, and even collected herself some lifers, including spotting a very early snowy egret that she saw and called from quite afar! It was a great trek out together, and surely won't be our last!

    Also, it's always fun to bird with someone who is really getting into it, experiencing them getting lifers is invigorating! So exciting! On this outing, she got four! I learned that she could use some warblers in her life, she has a very exciting spring ahead!


We saw a lor of these, yellow-rumped warblers! Looking forward to more arriving soon!

One of her lifers were the snow geese, still lingering around in smaller numbers than they have been. Also, the snowy egret mentioned previously was a lifer for my friend!

I also think these may be some of my most favorite snow geese photos I have captured.

Also welcome back, to this goth overlord.

I love boat tailed grackles, their sheen, their size, and their repertoire of insane vocal abilities. A few males were gathering and stretching their syrinx, hoping that when the females arrive they can impress.


No comments:

Post a Comment