Sunday, April 10, 2022

South Brooklyn in April

     I consider myself fortunate to have the chance to bird once a week. In the last two weeks I have kept it close to home and it's been nice because it has given me back some time in my weekend. Also, before the mosquitoes swarm in for the season, it's prime time to take advantage of the spaces close to home!

    Two weeks ago I biked down to Floyd and having the pedal assist, oh man, it was so nice to bike down the runways and it's better than the car. And this last week I biked to Marine Park and enjoyed a sight that was not a bird!!!

At Floyd last week I ventured around the north 40, that after a certain point becomes impenetrable just because of the mosquito factor.
The trails were fairly quiet, but there were plenty of song sparrows, but more than them were plenty of a recent migrant that arrived to town...

There were plenty of Eastern Phoebes to go around, to the point where they felt to have moved along the trail with me until joining up with another set of phoebes foraging along the trail edges.
These sweet little birds are just such a pleasant addition to spring.


As I was heading out of the north 40, a merlin came swooping through the trail and took my breath away. Then, moments later, a juvenile bald eagle, just so large and slowed by the winds soared by, fairly low.

I love being able to see wild raptors here in New York City, this eagle was just so gorgeous and perfect.

At Marine Park, the Osprey were taking up residence on both platforms. This is one from the pair at the first platform.

Happy to spot these little tail twerkers, palm warblers and others are rolling in from their southern winter homes.

Love seeing these birds arrive, it gives me hope for warmth, sun, and long days.

As you walk, you hear what could be a dinosaur.
It IS a dinosaur.
It's a ring necked pheasant singing his love song.
This one I was lucky to spot from the trail, he laid low but would pop up to call out for a hen's attention.

As I was leaving, right where they were doing construction-- I came upon a ribbon snake. I LOVE SNAKES.
I was originally a herp nerd before I became a bird nerd, and I do happily (and calmly) freak out with extreme joy.
One of the workers even came over to see what I was looking at and he didn't quite expect to see a snake!

I love love this little snake among these petite white flowers, what a sweet.
This made my day on Friday, please don't tell the birds I said that! 😬








No comments:

Post a Comment